Monday, October 3, 2005

Rollercoaster Weekend

It had its ups and downs.

Wine and Cheese and Cookies

The "up" part: Friday afternoon, I got to leave work at half day and go home, so that I could take a trip with my family up to beautiful Logan, Utah. The autumn leaves up there are stunning this time of year, but we also had ulterior motives: Cookies.

Just fifteen minutes north of Logan is the Pepperidge Farm production plant. And this plant has a thrift shop. If you are familiar with the "Milano" cookies, you will know that a teeny little paper bag of them costs about $2.50 in the grocery store. What you may not know, is that not all of those milanos roll off of the production line in perfect form.

The mis-shapen ones are relegated to the "seconds" bin, which are then bagged up and sold in the thrift shop. 3 1/2 pound bag of 'em for $5.00. And that's not all! Just about every product made there (all of their cookies included) will end up in the thrift store in one way or another. Big bags of the world famous Goldfish (the snack that smiles back at you until you bite their head off) for pretty low prices as well. So yes, we made a haul.

And what is a trip to Cache Valley, without stopping by the dairy and buying the famous Cache Valley cheese? Also at a discount? Mmmmm, and oh yes, Squeaky Cheese! Another haul made here.

Food Poisoning at a Discount.

So, now it's about 7:00, and we're on our way home, and decide to stop by a Sonic drive-in to get dinner. We order, and they tell us that our order will be about $20.00 and some change.

We wait. And Wait. And Wait. And Wait. And finally, a teenaged girl comes out and says "This is how you order: You push this button, and someone will answer you and take your order." Did I really look so stupid that she thought we needed help in that?

"Uh, we placed our order about 20 minutes ago, and they gave us a total and everything. Where is our food?"

The girl blanched a bit in the face, and genuinely looked nervous. She hurriedly re-placed our order on a different microphone, and gave us a hefty discount. We got the food, ate the food, and by the time we had gotten home, my wife and I were both ready to pay homage to the porcelain goddess. All night long. Thank you, Sonic.

A Nose is a Nose

So yesterday, after having been sick all day Saturday, I started feeling a little bit better. The day really wasn't all that remarkable until last night when I was putting the cute critter to bed. I told her to lay down, and she thought it would be funny to head-butt me, and ended up smashing me in the nose. I don't think she broke it, but came very close. A nice gush of blood, and a sore nose all night, but things seem to be back to normal. And hey, it got my sinuses to drain, so can I complain all that much?

So that is the weekend report, other than all of those cookies threw my hypoglaucemia into a tailspin, and I've spent the better part of two days now with a parched throat. Of course, the dehydration due to food poisoning might have contributed to that. (Thank you, Sonic.)

No comments: