Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Benefits of Being Sick

I noticed this last night on my way home. With this flu comes the occasional bouts of fever, malaise, body aches & pains, etc. I'm thinking that in an act of self-preservation, the ego-centric portion of my brain shut down, just to avoid the possibility of further damaging the "me-me-me" part of me.

A funny thing happened. Without the steady drone of "me-me-me-me-me-me..." and thinking about what I wanted, and how I was feeling, and what I was missing out on, I suddenly connected to the world, and I was at peace. There was a chill in the air, but I opened the sunroof and rolled the windows down partway, and let the cold breeze blow through, and I felt alive for the first time in a long time. Which in itself was pretty amazing, considering I have spent the whole week feeling mostly dead.

Still feeling just utterly gross today. It literally took me an hour to roll out of bed this morning. Utter exhaustion, achy body... that kind of stuff. But I went to work anyway.

I was driving down the freeway this morning, and could not believe the sky! It was gorgeous! A bright blue sky with an amazing array of clouds - everything from the puffy white ones to the thin, wispy ones, against a thin, barely perceptible layer of rippled clouds - all of them illuminated by the rising sun... It was really beyond my capacity to describe. I spent probably twenty minutes stealing glances at it through the window as I was driving. If today was the last sunrise I ever saw, I could die a happy man. It was that good. All that, and I didn't have my camera with me today. *sigh*

One Downside of Being Sick

Patience. I don't have any.

I got notified of a meeting taking place tomorrow, which I am supposed to attend. Me, the two company principals, and the three civil engineers. The topic?
"We will be discussing recent concerns and procedures for checking plans and information given to the surveyors for construction staking."
Right. Might as well have just said "we're gonna chew Nilo out again for that discrepancy on the school, but this time, we're gonna do it in front of a bunch of people." I'm getting so damn sick of this. It seems that once you get something in some people's craw around here, you'll hear about it for years to come. Psh.

I am praying for patience and the ability to just bite my tongue and nod my head a lot tomorrow. Either that, or that my wife has the baby tonight.

No comments: