Wednesday, January 4, 2006

A Day of Death

Sad news, and then it gets increasingly pissy.

Heartbreak in West Virginia.

Please keep the families and friends of the miners who died in a West Virginia coal mine yesterday in your prayers and thoughts.

When I had gone to bed last night, it was to the news that 12 of the 13 had survived. I'm guessing that there was an error in communication on that one. When they showed the familes and friends gathered at the church down the road, huddled together anxiously for any word of their loved ones, my heart really went out to them.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that having news cameras right next to a bunch of people who might be learning of a tragedy any minute is in extremely poor taste. I could see the faces of some of the children, and it choked me up. I think that when you learn of the passing of a loved one, it ought to be a private moment; a sacred moment. But maybe that's just me.

Wrong Place at the Wrong Time.

Two LDS Missionaries were shot in Chesapeake, Virginia on Monday.

From what the news has reported, the gunman was attempting to kill someone else, and the missionaries, who happened to be going door to door in the area, intervened and tried to help the intended victim. The gunman shot both missionaries in the head, killing one of them.

I think we can agree that Mormon missionaries are pretty easily identified. Dark suits, little name tags on the pocket... they travel in two's... and they are freakin' UNARMED!

I can't help but think that the big guy upstairs takes umbrage at people gunning down missionaries, and I bet that there's a special, extra toasty corner of hell reserved for such people, right next to those who burn down churches and those who strap explosives onto themselves with the intent to kill others.

Religion of Peace Pieces.

Headline: Suicide bomber was planning attack at kids' Hanukkah party.

Now, I have no way of verifying this, and the article doesn't provide a whole lot of evidence for their claim, but taking into account the number of suicide bombers that detonate themselves in crowded marketplaces, restaurants, malls, buses and bus stops, I'd say that their claim is probably correct. And IF this is the case, that is one of the lowest and most despicable forms of killing that exists: Murdering the innocents.

But the peace and love doesn't just stop at the Israeli/Palestinian border! A suicide bomber blows himself up at an Iraqi funeral, and the Taliban behead a school teacher (in front of his wife and children) in Kandahar, Afghanistan because his school educates girls, which is apparently against their beliefs.

Now, most of you know that I am very religiously tolerant, with one exception: Any religion that kills or advocates the killing of innocent people.

And right now, Islam is fitting the bill. But it's a religion of peace, you say! Listen, living in France and Switzerland, I had some Muslim friends. These were probably the most friendly, sharing and personable people I have ever met. Really. But the facts speak for themselves: With over 1.2 billion Muslims in the world, there is very little outcry being heard over the atrocities that happen every day.

And yet, any closer examination (i.e., surveillance) of mosques (in the U.S. even) known to preach violence, anger and hatred against Americans is met with the riot act from civil liberties groups. "We can't invade their privacy." "They have every right to breathe out threatenings against the U.S." Well fuck that. Their right to privacy and free speech ends where it affects my right to live safely.

If anyone feels differently, PLEASE voice your feelings! I am very open minded, and if my views on things can be enlightened, then so much the better!

Sorry for the rant today; there was just so much violent and depressing news on the radio on the way in to work. I'll try and come up with a post about clowns, or puppy dogs, or pit barbecues or something. Sheesh.

No comments: