Thursday, November 10, 2005

My New Favoritest Toy!

I can't believe how addictive this is, or how much freakin' time I've wasted toying around with...

Google Earth!

It's kind of like Microsoft TerraServer, only a million times better. It takes aerial images from all over the earth, and makes it so that you can zoom up on the globe to any random location you want to, or you can just type in where you want to go. I've checked out places I used to live in the US and Europe, zoomed in on nude beaches, that kind of stuff.

It's an 11MB piece of software that you download onto your computer, and it streams and pieces the data together for you as you select your locations. It can rotate and even tilt the viewport. I'm assuming that they've matched the photos to Digital Elevation Models, because when you tilt the view, mountains actually become mountains! Do I sound like I'm drunk? Eenyway, if you have a high bandwidth connection to the new, I suggest trying it out. It's phat.

No comments: