Thursday, November 17, 2005

...and just for a second...

Ponderings in Miscellany.

I was listening to an ad on the radio talking about all of the different restaurants that are hosting Thanksgiving dinners next week, and all of the different things that the chefs are preparing. And just for a second, I wanted to be a chef, because I thought "how cool it would be to be able to cook like that!"

Sometimes I visit other people's blogs, websites or flickr pages and marvel at the amazing photos they take. And just for a second, I want to be a great photographer that can capture unbelievable scenes with a great camera. Okay, I'll admit: It wasn't only for a second, it's more like several times a day.

Sometimes I read books by very talented and skilled authors, and just for a second, I want to be an author. I want to have the notoriety of having written something absolutely brilliant, and have people stand in line to get copies of my book autographed. Those of you who read my blog know that the chances of me writing something absolutely brilliant are about equal with the chances of mars crashing into the earth.

Sometimes, something will go wrong with one of our cars. And just for a second, I wish that I was a car mechanic, so I'd know immediately what it was, and how to fix it. And that I would have access to a place where I could make the repairs. I'll admit that this is also one I have thought about for longer than a second.

Sometimes, I'll go through my wife's photo albums from when she was a travel agent. And just for a second, I'll wish that I was one too, so that I could see some of the amazing places that she has.

Sometimes, when I go to my doctor's office, I am amazed at how many people he helps feel better on a daily basis. And just for a second, I want to do the same. Then I realize that this would necessitate another 5-6 years of school, but I think it would be worth it.

Sometimes, I ponder all of the things that I want to learn, see and do in my life. And just for a second, I wish that I was rich, so that I could do all of those things. But rich people have their own set of problems, and my kids are a far greater treasure to me than all the gold of Midas.

And except for a second here and there, life is pretty good.

No comments: