Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Now for something completely different...

Ever had days like this?

Talking Sofas

"Ford."

"Yes?"

"I Think I'm A Sofa."

"I Know How You Feel"


My wife and I checked out the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other night, not having really any expectations. It made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. Not because everything was absolutely hilarious, but because it was so unexpected. Like the yarn people:

Yarn People

When these guys make the "jump to lightspeed", there is always some unexpected temporary side-effect, usually happening to the crew of the ship. Like turning into sofas. Or Yarn.

And Marvin the paranoid android? Bloody Brilliant! I had always imagined something along the lines of a sulking C-3PO, but this was much better. He has the appearance of a large toy, and the voice of Alan Rickman (Snape, Harry Potter), and his depressed, sagging stance is perfect.

"Marvin... you saved our lives!"

"I know. Wretched, isn't it?"

new-5

Overall, it was a great show, with some pretty good visual effects and great humor. We usually won't watch movies with our oldest daughter because she is constantly asking questions about the whole show. This time, we had all the kids sit down and watch it, while my wife and I went upstairs and took a nap. When it was all over, my two daughters had memorized most of the words to "So long, and thanks for all the fish". A definite unexpected by-product of the show. Perhaps that improbability drive irradiated her from the television?

new-9

All Photos taken as screen shots from the Film "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

No comments: