Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sweet Surrender

Dry mouth. Really dry mouth. The kind where you can drink a gallon of water, yet still feel like you're parched. I developed that over the past month or so, just after we returned from SoCal. In the hidden recesses of my grey matter, random electrical impulses dredged up info from an old episode of M*A*S*H, about a chopper pilot who was always thirsty... Diabetes is what he had, which is also one of the highlights of our list of family heriditary diseases. Unchecked diabetes landed my Dad in the hospital last year with a major stroke. So, I visited the doctor yesterday, and he tested me and said "Hmmm... Hypoglaucemic." Okay, Doc, help me out here; what does that mean in plain english? Apparently, my love affair with highly sugared and caffeinated drinks is responsible for this little glitch in my life. Sure, a lot of people have a soda now and then, but I had been downing, like, 2 Super Big Gulps of the stuff each day! So he told me "Lay off the sugar". "How about diet drinks?" "Aspartame is worse for you than the sugar... have you ever thought of trying water?"
So, once again, I abandon my fizzy friend. Which is probably good, because I more or less treated it like an alcoholic would regard any sort of liquor. Feeling down about something? Take a sip and....Mmmmmm.... (sip, sip) tastes like... (sip, sip) Dr. Pepper... (sip, sip) vintage February 2005... (sip, sip) Admiral Beverage Bottling company... (sip, sip...burp!) Mmmmmn... nice.....fizzzy.... forget worries...

No comments: