Monday, May 16, 2005

All is not as it seems?

During my freshman year at the University of Utah, I would occasionally hang out with a kid named Jordan. He was kind of a loner, but friendly enough. He was very much into his Ford EXP turbo; you’d think no other car existed in the world but that one. His second passion was heavy metal music.

After school let out for the summer, I moved out to Holladay, a suburb of Salt Lake. He dropped by one day and visited, volunteered to liberate me from two bowlfulls of a stale box of Cap’n Crunch, and then we caught a flick.

I didn’t realize how much a loner he was until we were at Raging Waters one day. I worked there as a lifeguard, and I gave him a free pass to go down and play around. He mostly stood around near the areas that I was watching, only occasionally riding the waterslides. He was stark white and had no semblance of a tan, nor any indication that his skin had ever seen the light of day. I felt kind of bad for him.

A few months later, I saw a bunch of his friends who were in the same fraternity he was. They were all wearing black ribbons on their shirts. When asked why, they said that Jordan had died in his car in an accident a few weeks previous. I felt really bad that he had died.

BUT... Since then, I have done a fair amount of research on the internet. I have searched the two major Salt Lake newspapers for articles talking about fatal accidents during the same timeframe, and there were none. I have searched the Social Security Death Index for information on him, and there is none. I have ran ZabaSearches on his name, and there are no matches for his name in California (his home state). I cannot find a shred of evidence that this particular person ever existed!

Which leads me to wonder, was he in the Federal Witness Protection program?

No comments: