Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Happy Mardi Gras!

Good Fat Tuesday to everyone! Has anyone here ever been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans?

True to the spirit of the "Big Easy", Mardi Gras continues on this year, although not quite so grand in scale. It is said that Mardi Gras is something that everyone has to experience at least once. Just like being in Times Square at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve.

One of my friends has been to Mardi Gras, and says that it was nothing more than a huge drunken parade, with chests being bared, alcohol flowing freely, and the stench of urine in the air, as the very drunk demonstrate their inability to distinguish the difference between a toilet, and a car parked on the street. It sounds like fun, if I was single.

Times Square on New Year's Eve? I can't imagine being stuck in a crowd that is as large as half the population of my home state. Where do people go to relieve themselves there? And if you are able to hold it for six or eight hours, the possibility of being pickpocketed or knifed still exists, too. Also, would be a lot more exciting if I was single.

For now, I will enjoy Mardi Gras from the comfort of my own home, via the Travel Channel.

I tip my hat to those who carry on the celebration despite the devastation, because after all is said and done, it's a celebration of the human spirit. And it shows the rest of the world that a little wind and water won't keep us down...

No comments: