Saturday, July 2, 2005

Not just for sandwiches anymore

Peanut butter. Much more effective in baiting mouse traps than cheese has been. After a thorough cleaning of the house this week, we've discovered some ample evidence that a mouse has been living in our house (I just heard the sound of a Canadian friend getting seriously creeped out. Sorry Kim).

So, I did what any right-minded man of the house would do: I dusted off a mousetrap and baited it with peanut butter. Extra chunky. Irresistible to mice, and apparently other animals as well.

I had only placed the trap a few minutes before I heard a loud "SNAP!" and a yelp come from our family room. Anxious to see the demise of my small, beady-eyed intruder, I ran to the family room to discover an empty trap. With no peanut butter. And a sheepish looking dog cowering on the other side of the room.

The dog hairs stuck to the trap where the PB used to be were the proverbial smoking gun. So I reloaded the trap, and as I left the room, glanced over my shoulder. Just in time to see the dog running back over to the trap. Yep, our animal has no genetic relation to Pavlov's dog.

No comments: