Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Holiday Recipes

I know, I know... this sounds a lot like that "comfort foods" post I did just a little while ago. But it's a bit different. I would like you to submit your favorite recipes that you make around the holidays. Why? Because I'm hungry, and I want to hear about food right now.

Our administrative assistant just handed me the recipe to her delicious caramels. These are soooooo good that yours truly will gladly throw his blood-sugar levels out of whack to have a few of these.

She probably wouldn't be too thrilled that I'm now broadcasting this all over Blogland, but hey, I figure I ought to be the first to chip in:



CARAMELS

2 C Sugar
1 1/2 C Dark Karo Syrup
2 C Whipping Cream
1 C Margarine (2 cubes)
1 Tsp Vanilla

Stir and bring to boil all ingredients except for the Vanilla and 1 C of the Whipping Cream. Add remaining cream to mixture. Boil to Soft Ball - Firm stage (Those with candy thermometers will know what I'm talking about).

Remove from heat, add 1 Tsp Vanilla and nuts (optional). Pour into a lightly greased pan (use Pam). Let cool, then cut and wrap with wax paper.



She goes on to suggest putting the caramels outside (if you live in a cold climate) to cool off. Takes about an hour in our Utah winter weather. Slightly longer in a refrigerator.

I will post a few more recipes later on when I get home. Until then, let's hear what you like to eat for the holidays! And don't limit it to sweets, either. Get some meat and cheese stuff. Any stuff, actually.

The floor is now yours...

No comments: