Thursday, April 14, 2005

Impending Vacation... or Doom?

This will be my last chance to post before we leave for our vacation in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Not taking a laptop with me, this blog shall remain post-less for about nine days or so.

We are planning a trip to beautiful Southern California, to enjoy sunny San Diego for a few days, and then north to the obligatory "Several Days of Disney" experience, where we will ride the attractions, eat over-priced food and wait in line until we can't see straight anymore. Here is my concern: knowing my penchant for bad luck, is something going to go horribly wrong?

Some people have the spectre of bad luck follow them around, making their lives generally miserable. Not only do I have "bad luck", but his bastard cousin "catastrophic, horrible luck" is often along for the ride. I have visions or our wrecked, demolished car laying amid a debris field of broken glass, clothes, blood and torn twisted metal on the freeway in central Utah. I figure if there is anywhere I would fall asleep at the wheel, it would be in central Utah. There are places along that stretch of road where the scenery looks the same for literally dozens of miles at a time. Add on top of that the enormous lack of sleep I have been getting lately, and you can see why I'm worried.

In June 2001, the 16-year old daughter of some friends of mine was killed in a head-on collision one evening. January 2002, one of our neighbors is killed in a rollover accident coming home from Arizona. Fall 2003, Another neighbor flips her SUV several times on the freeway, killing her and seriously injuring her husband. I don't imagine any of these people started their day out thinking it was going to be their last.

Hopefully, my anxiety is all for naught, and we will actually have a wonderful time without any complications. I need to quit thinking like this and just cannonball into this vacation!

No comments: