Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Cannonball or dip?

Sometimes I will gingerly dip my toe into a pool before getting in. Then I'll pull my toe out, then dip the whole foot in, swish it around for a few seconds, deciding whether or not my own body heat could sufficiently raise the water temperature in the pool to a comfortable level. After deciding that it won't, I wade in anyway. On a normal day, however, I run and jump off the edge, figuring that I'll handle the problem of the icy cold water when I come to it. The shock at impact usually only lasts for a few seconds as all of my nerve endings shriek out in agony and then adjust. It takes less time, and I am enjoying the experience far sooner than the others who inch their way into the water, their meanderings marked by sharp intakes of breath and short yelps. So is this a dip or a cannonball? Time will tell.

No comments: