Friday, June 16, 2006

Even More Festivities...

Tonight, after the drinking, dancing, loitering, carousing, etc., started to slow down a bit, I noticed a rather large buzzing sound in my house. It wasn't:
  • A large bumblebee
  • My ears ringing
  • The clothes dryer telling me the laundry is done
It was, however:
  • The blower fan of the air conditioning unit, trying to start.
I went downstairs and popped the cover off of the AC / furnace unit, and tried to figure out what was going on.

Having a dangerous delusion that somehow, because I have tools, that I am a handyman... I went to work on it. I removed the circuit board and tied it to another part of the furnace. Then, stared at the blower fan assembly which, I swear, must have been welded into place by a small colony of Lilliputians. Finally, I located two screws which, after having been removed, allowed the entire fan assembly to slide ride out of the furnace. The fan motor was covered and imbibed with dust. Apparently, at least one of those furnace filters wasn't doing its job.

So, after having vacuumed a lot of dust out of the motor, and blowing the rest out using an air hose, I got the motor to work again, but it took a while to spin up. So me, being Nilo the Tool-Man Taylor, decided to remove the motor completely for an extensive cleaning. You can seriously save a couple hundred clams that way, and when you have four sproglets with hungry little mouths to feed, a couple hundred clams appears much larger.

So that is my weekend project; getting our air conditioning back to normal before the next heat wave...

And to think, I was going to be working on some pictures and stories for you tonight... Silly Wabbit...

No comments: