Friday, May 12, 2006

A Few Awards...

A corny cornucopia of awards to hand out...

Cheapass of the Day Award

I pulled into a gas station just down the road from my office to buy a diet soda this morning, and saw a guy washing his entire car with the windshield squeegee.

Strange Cosmic Fact of the Day Award

Remember the head-on double fatal accident I posted about? Since that time, two other head-on collisions have happened in the same location. The more recent accidents have left the drivers critically injured, but not dead. And the freeway, of course, was shut down each time, creating huge traffic congestion problems. You think that the highway patrol would put up a large sign or something that said "Don't crash here, dammit!"

Obscure Fact About Me Award

Yes, In high school I was a band geek. I have photographic proof which I will insert into this post later tonight. I played the trumpet, and could play the sax, flute and drums a bit, too. Our school started a marching band the summer I graduated, and I played in it. We took "First in State" at the July 24th (state holiday) parade in Salt Lake. I'm currently in the slow and lengthy process of teaching myself piano.

Much Ado About Nothing Award

This whole "furor" over the government and phone records. The anthill that is truly becoming a mountain. I mean, Hello, People! They're not recording phone calls... they couldn't give a damn less about Aunt Mabel's secret cake recipes, or your teenage daughter's extensive social life, your brother's illegal music downloading, the gossip about the neighbors, or the affair you've been having with the school crossing guard... What they are getting from the phone companies is data. Data that includes the date and time of the telephone call, the origin and destination of the call, as well as the length of the call.

Has anyone here seen the TV show Numbers? They use mathematic equations to reveal patterns in calling, especially international calls. If consistent patterns of communication show up between suspected terrorists and people living within the US, then those people are investigated a little more closely.

Unless you're calling the Middle East on a regular basis, and talking for quite a while, I certainly wouldn't worry about the government collecting this data from the phone companies. You don't cripple the guard dog who watches over you...

This Musician Kicks Ass Award

I had heard about Matthew Good from Countess's site, but had never heard his music. I got a hold of his CD "Avalanche" two days ago, and listened.... Ah, I Love it! This guy is great! I'm listening to him right now...

So Sad It's Funny Award

Ticket Sales to Mission Impossible III haven't been going as well as projected, and so friends of Tom Cruise from the Church of Scientology Celebrity Center in the Hollywood / Bel Air area have been pitchin' in to help their buddy out, by buying up literally hundreds of movie tickets apiece, and giving them away in an effort to boost box office numbers. I can't help but laugh. I'm sorry... *snort*

That's all for now... maybe more later.

No comments: