Thursday, May 11, 2006

Audience Participation Requested

In an attempt to inject some levity and fun into a recently morose blog, I'm asking for a bit of participation here's

Movie Moments

I want you to list some of your favorite movie moments out, using either the categories below, or some of your own. List out as many or few as you want, using as many or few of the categories as you want.

At the end of the day, I will go through the comments, and cut and paste the moments and quotes into the body of the post, for easier reading. Once your comments have been added to the post, they'll be deleted from the comments section.
  • Favorite funny moments
  • Favorite romantic moments
  • Favorite awe-inspiring moments
  • Favorite tear-jerking moments
  • Favorite action moments
  • Favorite "yeah! right on!" moments
  • Favorite edge of your seat moments
  • Favorite car chase / gunfight moments
  • Favorite scary moments
  • Favorite mind-bending moments
  • Favorite "Damn, I wish I hadn't seen that" moments

I'll start off, and then the floor is yours...

Funny Moments

Nilo Nine Months: Where Hugh Grant and Tom Arnold are beating the hell out of "Arnie the Dinosaur" at the toy store.

Nilo The Shadow: Where you see the sailor falling off of the Empire State Building in the background, bouncing off the building as he goes.

Nilo The Holy Grail: Pretty much the whole damn movie.

Sleepless Mama Serenity:

Kaylee: It's going on a year I haven't had anything 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!
Captain Mal: ...God, I can't know that!
Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more.

Sleepless Mama Tortilla Soup:

Dad: As long as you live under my roof you'll obey my rules!
Maribel: Fine! That's fine! (pause) Because I'm moving in with Andy!
Dad: What?
Andy:(equally surprised) What?

Shelly National Lampoon̢۪s Christmas Vacation: pretty much the whole movie, but specifically the cat electrocution and Chevy Chase's "When Santa comes down the chimney he's gonna find the happiest bunch of assholes this side of the loony bin" speech. My hubby and I make a date to watch that movie every Christmas - no kids allowed!

Shelly Sideways: The look on Paul Giamatti's face as he's crawling through the house to get Thomas Hayden Church's wallet and realizes what's going on in the bedroom.

Shelly Goldmember: The *entire* film. Hilarious.

Shelly Steel Magnolias: way too many great lines to count. "Thanks, Ouiser - nothing like a good piece of ass." "Here, hit her! You can print up shirts - I slapped Ouiser Boudreaux" "This is it, I have found it - I am in Hell." "I'm not crazy, M'Lynn - I've just been in a very bad mood for the last 40 years." That is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Romantic Moments

Sleepless Mama When Harry Met Sally:

Harry: It's not because it's New Year's Eve, and it's not because I'm lonely. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible.

Shelly The Order: There was a great line in a Heath Ledger film that I think was called The Order. "It's you and me until the wheels fall off." I like that sentiment.

Awe-Inspiring Moments

Nilo Apollo 13: Launch sequence.

Sleepless Mama The Patriot: The colonials who were retreating seeing the American flag go forward, then turning around and following it.

Shelly A Christmas Carol: The George C. Scott version is the *only* version. (He shared my birthday, btw.)

Tear-Jerking Moments

Nilo Charly: Where Charly's grandma removes her shoes from her feet as she approaches Charly's casket during the viewing.

Sleepless Mama Radio: The whole movie. Seriously, I could only watch it one time, because I cried the whole. Way. Through.

Shelly Steel Magnolias: I never lose it until Sally Field's "I can run a marathon but my daughter can't" speech, but I've never made it through that scene without crying.

Shelly Pretty Woman: The line that always got me in this one was Hector Elizondo's "It must be difficult letting go of something so beautiful."

Action Moments

Sleepless Mama Serenity: River, kicking all that Reaver ass, all by herself.

Sleepless Mama Lethal Weapon I-IV: Because I can't get enough of Mel Gibson kicking ass and taking names. Also, because Rene Russo gets to kick ass, and I think we need more female asskickers in Hollywood.

Yeah! Right On! Moments

Sleepless Mama Terms Of Endearment: Okay, so the mom is in the hospital, all in agony, dying of malignant breast cancer. The grandmother (Shirley MacLain) is telling her grandchildren about the things they'll be able to do when they come back to Houston(!) with her, and how they can do Cub Scouts, etc. The oldest son, age 10ish, who has been a complete and total ass to his mother throughout the movie, says something about his mother being too lazy to check out Cub Scouts. Shirley turns right around and slaps that boy. He starts giving her shit and she slaps him again! Now I certainly don't condone child abuse, and Shirley's character immediately apologizes and explains herself. But seriously, that kid had it coming. I'd expect to get slapped for talking trash about my mom when she's laid up in the hospital.

Sleepless Mama V For Vendetta: When Parliament is blown up, but also when the citizens gather and beat the living crap out of a Fingerman who shot a child. Pretty much all the civil disobedience. Power to the people! Bitches!

Edge-of-your-seat Moments

Nilo Aliens: The whole freakin' movie

Sleepless Mama Blood In, Blood Out: Bound by Honor: One of the cholos being chased says, in this relaxed way, to his fellow cholos (in Spanish) "Tighten your balls."

Sleepless Mama Speed: The whole movie was one long car chase/gunfight.

Scary Moments

Nilo Jurassic Park: The raptor jumping at Laura Dern in the utility vault... The lady next to my friend screamed and slapped her hand down on his knee, making him jump and scream as well...

Mind-Bending Moments

Nilo The Sixth Sense: The ending, of course.

Sleepless Mama The Royal Tenebaums: Pretty much the whole Luke-Wilson-is-in-love-with-his-sister-and-never-grew-out-of-it. But especially when they kiss. Excuse me, but ew.

Sleepless Mama The Matrix: Yeah, I know, it's passe now, but when it first came out, it blew my mind.

Shelly Frailty: There are several points in the movie where you can see what's coming, but it's shocking and you're not sure you want to see it. Truly disturbing movie.

"Wish I Hadn't Seen That" Moments

Nilo The Crying Game: The "big surprise" scene.

Nilo Pitch Black: The woman getting torn in half by the bird creatures.

Sleepless Mama Wild Things: Pretty much all the sex parts. Also the part when Neve Campbell rips out her own teeth. My incisors hurt just thinking about it!

Shelly Payback: The entire movie. That thing sucked.

Shelly Carlito's Way: Al Pacino's love scene - great actor, but ick.

No comments: